Ethics and Design
Learn the finer points of web authoring including non browser specific HTML and how to validate your markup.
- Browser Specific Markup
Learn about the hazards.
- Tips and Tricks
Find little-known secrets of HTML.
- Validate Your HTML
Make your pages error free.
- Webmaster Certification
Should you be certified?
- Best Viewed With Any Browser Campaign
Campaign for a Non-Browser Specific WWW.
- Breathing Room: Design Notes
Page about the "purist" and the "designer".
- Creating Low-Impact Documents
Spoof of Netscape's High Impact Documents.
- Dan Shafer: Consistency is our only hope
Story on web standards from the editorial director for CNET Builder.com.
- Darin McGrew's Hit Counter Rant
Misconception of the "hit counter".
- Dehanced for Lynx
Misunderstood design practices that can break pages in Lynx.
- Frames Suck Most of the Time
Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox for December 1996.
- HTML Writers Guild - Style
- Jesse Berst's AnchorDesk: Why We Must Lay Down the Law to Microsoft and Netscape
Story demanding the "big two" comply with web standards.
- Top Ten HTML Extensions
Spoof: Tags that Netscape would have made if they didn't run out of beer.
- "This page optimized for ..." arguing with customers
Reasons why you should not optimize your site for a particular setup.
- Top Ten Mistakes in Web Design
Learn what the mistakes are so you won't make them.
- The Uselessness of Auto-Refresh
Lists sites that use auto refresh for some less-then-useful purposes (go here on a rainy day).
- Use of ALT texts in IMGs
How to properly use ALT text.
- WAI Accessibility Guidelines: Page Authoring
W3C Working Draft.
- Web Interoperability Pledge
Promise to adhere to current HTML standards.
- WSP: Web Standards Project
Fighting for Standards in our Browsers.
- What's Wrong With FONT?
Problems with the Netscape FONT element.
- What's wrong with image maps?
Problems with server-side image maps.
- WYSIWYG: What does it mean on the Web?
Why WYSIWYG doesn't work on the web.
- NHTML: What doesn't work
Overview of problematic Netscape proprietary elements.